Thursday, October 7, 2010

What's Cookin' Good Lookin'?


I'm so glad you asked! {har har}

First of all, you might have noticed I'm working on adding categories up there You'll find tonight's recipe and others under the "recipes" tab.

*On to our regularly scheduled program...*
Tonight's menu:

Chicken Burrito Bowls
{rice}
{black beans}
{chicken}
{cheese}
{shredded lettuce}
{diced tomatoes}
{salsa}
{sour cream}
{crushed corn chips}

and...

Horchata!

Let me tell you, I love a good cold glass of Horchata. Yum Yum. We went out to eat this last week and we treated ourselves to a glass...or two. I've been craving more ever since.

I searched my favorite recipe website and found this recipe:

Lola's Horchata

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked white long-grain rice
5 cups water
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup white sugar

Directions:

1.Pour the rice and water into the bowl of a blender; blend until the rice just begins to break up, about 1 minute. Let rice and water stand at room temperature for a minimum of 3 hours. {I did 5 hours} 
2.Strain the rice water into a pitcher and discard the rice. Stir the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar into the rice water. Chill and stir before serving over ice.

*Mine tasted a little more watery than I like, so I added about an extra half cup of milk and it was delish! My only complaint was that there was a lot of cinnamon on that floated to top and sat on the bottom. Not a huge deal, I just shook my cup lightly before each drink. Next time I might try soaking cinnamon sticks in with the rice, or adding the cinnamon powder in with the rice while it soaks and strain it all together.

I believe the hubster said {at least} two or three times that dinner was "so good". Simple. But Good. The chicken was just leftover crock pot chicken from a couple nights ago that I tossed back in the crock pot this afternoon with a little water and taco seasoning.

0 People Had to Say...:

Related Posts with Thumbnails