Saturday, June 18, 2011

{4th of July Wood Crafts} {flag and fireworks}

I got together with some ladies from church at my house this morning for a craft day.
I whipped up two 4th of July crafts in a couple hours...would have been quicker if I hadn't been blabbling away, but I didn't mind the distractions.

I've seen various versions of wooden fireworks floating around the blogosphere, so I decided to make a set..

I love how they turned out...so much that I made two sets...


All chippy and distressed...

Love. Love. Love.

It was such a simple craft!

I cut up a 2x2 8ft board into 4.5", 5.5", 6.5" inch pieces, drilled a little hole in the tops, curled some wire and stuck it in the holes. You can get 2x2 for a couple bucks at home depot, and if you don't have a saw at home, you can ask them to cut it there. I made 5 full sets out of one 8 ft board and then went through my scrap wood pile for the last piece for a 6th set.

The other decoration I made was this little hanging flag... 
I saw a similar idea at How Does She?

I didn't want to have to cut out mdf, so I used 1x2s instead and made a smaller version, it came out to be about 10"x8". A 1x2 will cost you around $0.80 or $1...I used two and made 3 full sets and one somewhat wonky set...I was having user difficulties with the saw and they didn't come out all even, the 5 piece on the last set was shorter than the rest, but when used on the top stripe and topped with the blue 1x4, you couldn't really tell...

I cut up a 1x2 into 10" strips, painted the stripes and used wood splints and a staple gun on the back to hold together the pieces..


I drilled a hole on both sides at the top and strung some wire through...


And finished it off with a 1x4 board I cut square and topped it with a star and button...
{love}
I picked up the star at Michael's for about 60 cents, and repainted it (it was orange and yellow before).

Such simple and inexpensive crafts, but I love how they turned out!



My daughter's favorite part was getting to paint all over the old wrapping paper I had covered the table with...


Mom might have had a little fun too...


I think I'll have to cover the table and let her go to town on it more often.

Each decoration worked out to be about 40 cents a set for the wood, the little star on the flag was 60 cents, and I bought some new paints for it at Michaels on sale for 50 cents a bottle, but I hardly made a dent in them and have tons left for other projects. I had the wire, tulle and twine. So the flag ended up being $1 total to make and the little fireworks were 40 cents a set, not including the paint... Not bad!

2 People Had to Say...:

Anonymous said...

just darlin! I've linked to you from my Summer Kick Off Tutorial Round Up!

Luke and Tina said...

That was fun!! Thanks for hosting it. The kiddos are both asleep so I might go finish mine now.

Related Posts with Thumbnails